Selling products on Amazon is a great way to reach a massive customer base, and one of the most effective ways to showcase your products is through video content. Amazon, the world’s largest online retailer, has recently added a new feature to its website: Amazon Product Videos. They allow sellers to upload product videos to their listings, providing an immersive shopping experience for potential buyers.
However, to make the most of this opportunity, it’s essential to understand and follow Amazon’s Product Video Guidelines. Here in this blog, we will cover everything you need to know about these guidelines and which users can upload videos to their listings, as well as the benefits of this video type.
Why Product Videos Matter on Amazon
Consumer purchasing behaviour has changed over the years. Now, most buyers do plenty of research before making a purchase. Adding an Amazon product video to your listing giving viewers more information about the product’s features and uses will help you boost your sales, mainly because these detailed videos help viewers better understand the product and determine whether it covers their needs. In addition, these videos save a lot of time for potential customers as they don’t have to leave the page to look for further information and reviews about the product
Besides, a recent survey stated that 79% of online shoppers would rather watch a video about a product than read its description. 96% of the respondents also said that video helps them make an online purchase. Lastly, it is important to emphasise that conversion rates are higher on pages with embedded videos.
Here’s a summary:
- Improved Conversion Rates: Product videos can significantly boost conversion rates. They give customers a better understanding of your product’s features, benefits, and how to use it effectively.
- Increased Trust: Videos provide a sense of transparency, helping customers trust your brand and products. This trust can lead to more sales and positive reviews.
- Reduced Returns: When customers have a clear understanding of what they’re buying, they are less likely to return products due to misunderstandings or unmet expectations.
Now, let’s get into Amazon’s Product Video Guidelines.
Amazon Product Video Guidelines
Amazon product video guidelines are very strict. Violation of these guidelines will result in your video or entire account being removed. Here are some examples:
1. Video Length and Content
- Duration: Amazon recommends keeping product videos between 30 seconds and 2 minutes.
- Content Focus: Your video should focus on highlighting the key features, benefits, and unique selling points of the product. Show it in action and demonstrate how it can solve a customer’s problem.
2. Video Quality
- Resolution: Amazon suggests a minimum resolution of 1280 x 720 pixels (HD). Ensure your video is clear and sharp.
- Aspect Ratio: The video should either be in its usual YouTube orientation or with 16:9 aspect ratio for optimal viewing on various devices.
- Sound: Include clear audio narration or background music that enhances the video without overpowering it. Ensure any spoken content is in the language relevant to your target audience.
- Format: it should be in MP4, MOV, FLV, AAC, AVI, 3GP or MPEG-2.
3. Branding and Logos
- Avoid Over-Promotion: While you can include your brand name and logo, avoid excessive self-promotion or contact information in the video. The focus should remain on the product.
- Videos can’t contain several brand logos.
- Videos should be uploaded with a high-quality thumbnail, and it should be in .png or .jpeg.
4. Compliance with Amazon Policies
- Content Guidelines: Ensure your video adheres to Amazon’s content guidelines, avoiding any offensive or prohibited content.
- No defamatory statements, inaccurate product reviews, or health claims.
- Amazon product videos must not contain prices, promotion information, discounts, or time-sensitive information.
- No Contact Information: avoid adding any contact information in the video.
- Warranty: You can’t modify the manufacturer’s warranty or offer your own one.
- Do not direct viewers away from Amazon’s page.
- Do not infringe on others’ intellectual property rights.
- Celebrity endorsements: not permitted unless officially endorsed.
- No alcohol products in videos.
5. Mobile Optimisation
- Mobile-Friendly: Many customers shop on Amazon using mobile devices, so make sure your video is mobile-friendly and looks great on small screens.
6. Video Hosting
- Video Hosting: Amazon provides options for video hosting, making it convenient for sellers to add videos to their product listings. Familiarise yourself with these hosting options for a seamless experience.
7. Publishing the video
- There may be less than 6 images posted in your listing for the video to appear on the image block.
- The person uploading the video must be the brand owner.
- The creator of the video should support claims and any mentioned awards by evidence.
Bear in mind that Amazon keeps updating its Amazon Product Video guidelines. Thus, make sure you review them and make any changes if needed.
Who can upload Product Videos to Amazon?
Product videos are not available to all Amazon sellers. Right now, only vendors and sellers who own a brand registered on Amazon’s Brand Registry can upload product videos to their listings.
It is important to note though that many sellers from the EU and the UK, despite having their brands registered on Amazon’s Brand Registry, don’t have the option to upload videos to their Amazon listing yet. In these countries, the feature is currently just available to vendors.
You might be wondering whether adding product videos to a listing incurs any fees. For brand-registered marketplace sellers, the addition of product videos is complimentary. However, vendors must pay an extra fee to use this feature. Nevertheless, it’s important to mention that any brand or seller can include product videos in the customer review section at no cost.
Which Amazon Product Video type should I use?
The answer to this question will vary depending on the products you are selling. However, we have created a list of the most used product video types as they have been proved to be the most efficient. Click on the video type (in bold) to have an idea of how each video looks like.
- Product highlights video, which focuses on the product itself.
- Explainer video which focuses on the benefits of the product as well as on the problems it solves.
- Customer experience video, whose main aim is to show the product in use.
- Comparison video, which shows a product in comparison to the competitor’s one.
Tips for Creating Engaging Product Videos
- Tell a Story: Craft a narrative around your product that resonates with your target audience. Show how it fits into their lives.
- Demonstrate Benefits: Highlight the problem-solving features of your product. Show before-and-after scenarios if applicable.
- Call to Action: Encourage viewers to take action, such as clicking ‘Add to Cart’ or ‘Buy Now.’ Include a clear and enticing call to action at the end of the video.
- Test and Iterate: Don’t be afraid to experiment with different video styles and content to see what resonates best with your audience. Monitor performance metrics to refine your approach.
Amazon’s Product Video Guidelines are a valuable resource for sellers looking to enhance their product listings and boost sales. By following these guidelines and incorporating the tips mentioned, you can create compelling product videos that engage customers and drive conversions.
In the competitive world of e-commerce, a well-crafted product video can be the difference between a sale and a missed opportunity. So, take the time to create high-quality videos that showcase your products in the best possible light.
If you have any questions or need further assistance with these Amazon Product Video Guidelines, or with creating product videos and optimising your Amazon listings, feel free to reach out to us.
Thank you for taking the time to read this,
Contact Impress Video now
If you would like to do a Product Video with video production and marketing professionals, or any other type of video, we can help you at Impress Video. We make video production for businesses, the ones that impress. Don’t hesitate to contact us here!