Best Length for a TV Advert
When it comes to TV adverts, the length of the advertisement plays a crucial role in capturing and retaining the attention of the viewers. Commonly, TV ads are created in 15, 30, or 60-second durations. Let’s explore the advantages and best applications for each length.
In today’s fast-paced world, where attention spans are diminishing, 15-second ads have gained popularity.
These ads excel at grabbing the audience’s attention and delivering a concise message. Their brevity makes them effective in maintaining viewer engagement, as they are less likely to lose interest. Furthermore, 15-second ads have the advantage of being easily repurposed across various platforms, maximizing the opportunity to reach the targeted audience.
For instance, our team at Impress produced a 15-second TV ad for Visqueen, focusing on young females as the target audience. The short and impactful nature of this ad allowed it to be shared across multiple social media platforms, ensuring wider exposure.
With a slightly longer duration, 30-second ads are more informative and provide advertisers with more room to create a connection with the viewers.
These ads offer an opportunity to showcase the product or service in greater detail, allowing for a better understanding among the audience. Additionally, 30 seconds provide enough time to establish an emotional or intellectual connection with the viewers, enabling brands to leave a lasting impact.
An example of such an ad is our production titled “The Ultimate Gardener” for Visqueen, where we introduced their new line of bin bags. This 30-second ad strikes a balance between delivering comprehensive product information and maintaining viewer engagement.
While 60-second ads were once common, many TV commercial production companies have shifted away from this length due to changing viewer behaviors.
Studies have shown that after about 45 seconds, viewers start losing interest, leading to poor brand recall. Moreover, the production and airtime costs associated with longer ads make them less attractive for advertisers.
However, there are certain situations where a 60-second ad may be necessary. For instance, when introducing new products to the market, some companies may require the extra time to effectively convey their message or evoke specific emotions. These ads are an exception rather than the norm, reserved for special cases where brevity may compromise the intended impact.
Should all TV commercials stick to these lengths then?
No, the success of a TV commercial is not solely determined by its duration. Instead, you need to consider several factors to determine the appropriate length for your TV adverts. Let’s delve into these key factors:
- Attention: Audiences have varying attention spans, and it’s crucial to understand what length keeps them engaged. Some viewers may lose interest in long commercials, while others may dismiss shorter ones. Understanding your audience preferences will help you determine the optimal length.
- Knowledge: Consider the level of knowledge your targeted audience has about your product or service. If they require more information to understand your offering, a longer ad may be necessary. Conversely, if they already have familiarity with your brand, a shorter ad may suffice.
- Emotions: Determine the emotions you want to evoke in your audience. Some messages can be effectively conveyed in a 15-second ad, while others may require more time to create the desired emotional impact. Consider the emotional resonance you aim to achieve and align it with the appropriate duration.
- Impact: Consider the intended impact of your commercial. How many seconds do you need to deliver your message effectively and motivate viewers to take action? The desired outcomes and the complexity of your message should guide the length of your ad.
- Budget: Financial resources play a role in determining the length of your commercial. Longer ads typically involve higher production costs and increased airtime expenses. Consider your budgetary limitations and allocate resources accordingly to maximize the impact of your ad.
- Medium: The advertising medium you choose, such as TV, radio, or online platforms, may have specific guidelines or limitations regarding commercial lengths. Ensure that you adhere to the requirements of the chosen medium while aligning with your goals and target audience.
Wrapping things up
In conclusion, selecting the ideal length for your TV commercial is a multifaceted process. It requires a careful assessment of your goals, audience characteristics, industry norms, and budgetary considerations. Avoid blindly following competitors and focus on what aligns best with your brand identity and objectives.
Thank you for reading,
Contact Impress Video now
If you would like to do a Corporate Video with video production and marketing professionals, or any other type of video, we can help you at Impress Video. We make video production for businesses, the ones that impress. Don’t hesitate to contact us here!